Monday, May 18, 2009

Diaper Rash

Abby started having diarrhea yesterday, I don't know why. She must have succumbed to a virus or something, because she hasn't been eating anything but breast milk. Even though I've been changing her right away she's still gotten a painful diaper rash from the acidic, watery pooh. She's only had very mild diaper rash in the past, never this bad before. Burt's Bees diaper cream has worked great in the past on preventing and treating mild diaper rash, but it hasn't been working well on the moderate diaper rash, so I'm trying new diaper creams. The one I just put on tonight is the A&D ointment. We'll see how it works. I am ready to buy any and every diaper cream to get one that works to heal this diaper rash! I hate to see Abby in pain, and whenever I have to wipe the pooh off her little bum she cries in pain. Poor sweetie! So then I think maybe the chemicals in the wipes are hurting her, so I rush her to the bath and rinse her off with warm water. She seems to be happy about that part, especially if I let her play in the water.
I have a good idea from my mom on how I should treat the diarrhea. Tomorrow I am going to try opening a capsule of acidophilus into some baby food and feed it to Abigail, since acidophilus is supposed to help diarrhea.
Abigail does the sign for "milk" while she nurses by squeezing me with her hand. It's so cute! I am so excited about her learning to sign, so that she can communicate with us before she learns to talk. Plus, teaching your baby ASL increases their spoken vocabulary and helps them learn to talk faster.

1 comment:

  1. Poor Abby! Hope it clears up soon! I'd be very interested to know how the acidophilus works. Keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete