Thursday, June 25, 2009

How to prevent baby pooh leaks

I thought it could possibly help if I share my experience with an explosive pooper. I found that when I tried to go up a size to contain the poop, it actually made it worse, because then the diaper is not tight enough around the legs and waist to contain the poop. This is what I do to contain the poop: First I put her in the right size diaper (not too big or too small) and I use regular Huggies or Kirkland signature. Then the way that I put on the diaper is the most important. I put it on high in the back and lower in the front. This keeps the pooh from leaking out above her butt crack. I snug it around her thighs carefully before I tape it down, and put the diaper on the inside of her thigh rolls. When I tape it down, instead of taping it straight across, I do it slightly downward and make sure I have just the right amount of tension. Then after I get it on, I check the position and tightness of the leg openings. They should be tight enough that both the gusset elastic and leg elastic snap back like a pair of good fitting panties would. This keeps the pooh from leaking out the leg holes. It does make a little bit of a pink mark on the legs after I take off the diaper, but I realized this doesn't hurt her a bit, it's just like if you had snug socks on they would make marks on your legs but still be comfortable.
All this said, sometimes she still poops such a huge amount of runny (exclusively breast fed) pooh at once, that I don't think any diaper could contain it all, and she ends up leaking.
Also, I found that I shouldn't eat prunes or anything like that because if it moves fast through me, it will move fast through her, too, and make her pooh a whole bunch at once!

No comments:

Post a Comment